What Belize did in me

 During my week in Belize, the Lord worked many wonders in heart. Wonders such as seeing things my eyes had never seen, growing in Catholic fellowship and in my personal faith, and deepening my zeal to be his missionary every day.
A woman belonging to the San Pedro parish started an organization some years ago called “The St. Theresa Casita”. Their mission statement is Matthew 25:40, “Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me”. Her and her small team aid women on the island dealing with physical and spiritual poverty, domestic violence, and pregnancy. During our week on the island, we worked in correlation with Ms. Josie (founder) and the Casita. Every morning, we hopped on golf carts and traveled to a part of the island called San Mateo. This region was suffering from extreme poverty. I met women who didn’t have enough money to provide dinner for their children and who were suffering from domestic violence. I met a 20-year-old girl, my age, who had already had two children and was in no communication with either of their fathers. These women were poor, living in one room houses with nothing but a bed and whatever other items they had. Alongside the Casita, we provided groceries, baby clothes, encouragement, friendship, and our prayers for these women. At the end of all our visits, we prayed with them, inviting the Holy Spirit into their lives and asking God for his loving assistance. “For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them,” (Matthew 18:20). I saw the power of the name of Jesus in their faces; I saw peace and consolation. This experience gave me a new appreciation for all the Lord has blessed me with and a greater desire to serve others. Our mission was not to eliminate their suffering, but to help relieve it, and most importantly, to bring the love of Christ to them.


The Lord blessed me abundantly through the lives of those I went on mission with. These 11 people were not only holy, but fun. I was blessed to share in their lives by hearing their stories and sharing my own. We shared the hardships of seeing the poverty of many on the island, but we also shared joy in each other with laughter and song. After only one week, we became so close. I am grateful to the Lord for the blessing of these faith-based friendships and those I have at home. He has shown me the importance of faith in friendships and the life that they bring. I could not think of a better group to have shared this experience with, and miss them dearly.
Finally, I grew in relationship with Jesus and developed a greater desire to spread his name. Attending daily mass and holy hour every morning allowed me to enter more deeply into prayer and center my days on Christ. In addition, the Lord showed me glimpses of his face through the beauty of creation. From the clear, turquoise water to the pink and purple sunrises, I was in awe of Belize. Stepping outside every morning, I praised God. The air was warm and soothing on my skin, the sun greeted us with its penetrating rays, and the vibrant flowers and trees satisfied my hunger for life and beauty. I also grew in my understanding and faith of his presence in the Eucharist. During my nightly visits to our parish household, we watched a video series called “Presence”, done by the Augustine Institute. This three-part video series allowed me to enter more deeply into the sacrifice of the mass, appreciating Jesus in the Eucharist. During the Friday evening adoration event, I sat before my God; we had an intimate moment. He touched my heart, reminded me of my love for him and his love for me. Through all these experiences, I grew in my love for Jesus and his people. Other than a “Belize” t-shirt and a keychain, I have taken home a new fire in my heart to live a holier life and spread his name.
I am beyond grateful for this mission trip; the Lord worked in ways I never could have imagined. He is still transforming my heart through this experience, and I am grateful to be able to pray for all those I have encountered by name. Although part of me wishes to be back in Belize, another part of me is excited to see the plans he has for me here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter from Our Parochial Administrator

We have all been told that God is with us, He wants a relationship with us, He loves us; but sometimes …